Useful resources including links for parents - before and after baby's arrival - to download and display in your setting:
- Useful links and reliable resources for parents ahead of baby's arrival
- Useful links and reliable resources for parents after baby's arrival
- Pregnant or have a child under five - Bright Start leaflet
The following booklet outlines lots of healthy habits for mum and baby, including top tips and helpful advice on pregnancy, food, exercise, supplements, development, smoking and alcohol.
Other reliable resources:
Breast and bottle feeding
Sign up to become a Breastfeeding Welcome setting! Click here for a summary of Breastfeeding Welcome and click here for a Registration form for Breastfeeding Welcome. For further information please email our Specialist Dietitian for schools and early years Marjon Willers.
The best start for babies is to feed them on breast milk alone for the first 6 months and to continue after that until the baby is at least one year old and preferably beyond. Below is information and resources about breastfeeding, including the benefits, tips and advice.
- Islington Infant Feeding Policy
- Islington’s Infant Feeding Policy-Parents’ guide
- Off to the best start - breasfeeding
- Breastmilk and breastfeeding guide
- Information on Breastfeeding support in Islington
- Why it's worth breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding while out and about
If a baby is bottle fed, it is important to know which formula to choose, how to prepare a bottle safely and how to responsively feed a baby and pace the feed. First infant formula is the only type of infant formula a baby needs up to 12 months. Once a baby is over a year, they will no longer need formula milk as they will get all their nutrients and energy from food and full fat cow's milk.
- Positioning and attachment - Pregnancy and baby guide - NHS Choices
- Global Health Media Videos - videos on breastfeeding support
- NHS Choices Pregnancy and Baby Care website – lots of information about looking after yourself and your baby, as well as opportunity to sign up for free pregnancy and baby emails
- Start4Life website – information about feeding young children & activities for them
- Islington NHS Maternity Services (poster)
- The code of marketing breastmilk substitutes
Infant Feeding Coordinator
Rosemary Brown Tel: 020 3316 8441