Cardfields is a large Victorian country house set in five acres of stunning, well-maintained grounds in the Essex countryside with beautiful views of the River Chelmer. The house is surrounded by arable farmland and is perfectly placed to provide educational and recreational use for schools, community groups and for private hire.
A broad range of adventurous and educational activities especially KS1 and KS2 can be organised to meet the specific needs of each group.We can arrange day visits or residential opportunities throughout the year, making it a valuable resource for transition visits, study groups, school journeys and team building opportunities. We continue to improve the offer at Cardfields and promote learning through discovery, investigation and experience.
Cardfields has two classrooms, conference facilities, fully equipped games room for children to enjoy their leisure time, floodlit outdoor multi games pitch, comfortable sitting and dining room and a range of bedrooms. Our links to the curriculum cover science, history, maths, geography and physical and wellbeing education. We offer the following:
- Bronze age/ancient Greek construction, cave drawing, ancient Greek or bronze age pottery, bronze age cooking
- Activities to improve confidence and self-esteem for each individual young person
- Bushcraft skills and learning survival skills in the outdoors as well as learning how to build a shelter and build small campfires. Children also have the opportunity to cook on the fire
- Cross country walks to Heather Hills where children will learn about the environment, classifying woodland creatures and why they thrive in specific habitats. Children will also classify the age, height and measuring of trees which links in with the curriculum around habitats, life cycles and food chains. Children can create sculptures and fashion artefacts using the natural environment
- Screen and block printing including natural sculpture where children will be able to use natural materials to inspire a sculpture using the style from Andy Goldsworthy
- Children will have the opportunity to learn about the local History with visits to Terling to learn about village life and visit the local community school for the morning
- Annual themed Victorian Christmas where children have the opportunity to step back in time for a day to experience the smells, tastes, games, stories and crafts of a traditional Victorian Christmas in a Victorian country house
- Within the grounds children have the opportunity to do gardening which will develop their understanding of how plants grow, from seed to harvest. The jobs required to support and sustain healthy growth of plants and the importance of fresh fruit and vegetables in a healthy diet. Children will also learn the correct use of tools and gardening equipment
- Children can learn how to cook: baking apple crumbles, cakes and cookies; sourcing produce from our fruit trees. They will develop their understanding of good safety practices when handling and preparing food and kitchen equipment. They will learn how to follow a recipe, measure ingredients and produce a finished dish
- We can book transport and off-site activities (e.g. swimming pool visit, archery, trebuchet, Rope Runners etc.) if these are required
- Fully and semi-catered groups, conferences and day visits will be offered a tailored menu to suit their needs
- We offer a 24 hour on-call service for groups staying on site
- We offer schools the opportunity to bring parents on a pre-visit so they are fully secure in the knowledge that their children will be in a safe environment
Our staff are happy to visit and present to your school, including parents/carers, to talk about the facilities and programmes we have to offer. We can discuss your booking requirements and any special needs or requests you may have.
Benefits of choosing us
- Qualified and experienced staff offering a high quality learning environment.
- Cardfields is renowned for its outstanding, healthy and good quality food catering for all special requirements, with a five-star food-hygiene rating.
- Sole use of the house and grounds for your booking, with 24-hour security.
- Awarded the Quality Badge for Learning Outside the Classroom.
- Recently upgraded acommodation with fully equipped classroom, social areas, games room, dormitory bedrooms and separate leaders’ bedrooms.
What our customers say
Primary School Head