All Maintained, Private, Voluntary and Independent Early Years settings can apply for funding to support work with children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) who meet the criteria of severe and complex needs.
From September 2019, funding will be awarded annually and paid termly. All settings must complete Form A, which replaces Form 1 and Form 2.
The application process for the Autumn Term Panel will be open on the 2nd September 2019
To be eligible for funding, the child must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Known to Social Communication Team (SCT)
- Known to the Early Years Development Team (EYDT)
- Known to the Richard Cloudsely Outreach Service (RCOS)
- Known to the Community Nursing Team (CNT)
- Known to the Priority Early Learning Place Panel (formerly EYPRT), i.e. an assessment for an Early Help Plan (EHA) has been agreed or is already underway.
Rate of funding
- The SEND Funding panel allocates funding over 38 weeks a year
- The panel funds a maximum of £14.95 an hour for all requests. This amount has been agreed by the Early Years’ service for 2019-20 and will be reviewed annually in line with inflation
- Providers are expected to top up the allocated funding if necessary
- Providers are expected to access additional sources of funding available that can be used to support individual children and raise the quality of provision. If you provide places for any 3- or 4-year-olds who receive disability living allowance (DLA), your setting is eligible to receive funding via the disability access fund (DAF) which is a one off payment of £615 per child per year
- Funding is paid for term time only at the agreed number of weeks per term
- Funding can only be paid for children under age five, up to Nursery class only
Monitoring of funding
- A periodic monitoring process will be triggered for all children and settings accessing three terms worth of funding in order to evaluate the impact of funding received
- The online system will not allow you to submit your application after the deadline date
- Two days after the panel, a secure email will be sent via Egress to the applicant notifying them of the outcome of the panel
- Two weeks after the panel you will receive your detailed outcome letter, also sent as a secure email via Egress
- Please share the outcome letter with the setting's finance officer to confirm the amount of funding awarded
- Payments are authorised and released in line with Islington's finance payment schedule
The 2019/20 SEND panel dates have been set in line with the headcount date as follows:
How to Apply
- Before starting your application, please ensure you have all the information you need about the child and the supporting evidence you will be required to upload.
- it is important that you take time to complete your application as fully and as accurately as possible as the decision-making process is heavily weighted on the information provided as part of the online application.
- Please check that all parts of the application form is completed (where relevant) before submitting as any mistakes will cause a delay to your application being processed
- If you do not have supporting evidence you MUST complete the reason for selecting that decriptor of need code.
- No applications will be considered once the deadline date has passed.
Accessing the online form
Follow the links below to access the appropriate form(s).
Initial funding request including requests for specialist disability equipment
Evidence required: Multi-disciplinary report which clearly outlines the child's level of need, 2YO progress check, medical reports, acceptance letter from either the Islington's Additional Needs Service or Early Years Developmental Team.
- If applying for specialist disability equipment please answer the relevent questions as part of Form A
Equipment requests will only be approved once the following steps have been taken:
- Obtain a recommendation from a health professional
- Source the supplier
- Order the equipment to secure the invoice
- Complete relevent questions as part of Form A and upload the invoice
Evidence required: The written recommendation from a health professional and the invoice.
At the point of receiving your third term of funding the mandatory evaluating form will be triggered.
Measuring the impact of intervention/s applied is an important factor in measuring the outcomes for children with severe and complex needs.
This evaluation process will allow the SEND panel to systematically track the implementation of support in settings in addition to obtaining data on childrens progress levels.
Evidence required: SEN Provision Mapping proforma will be avalible to download in Spring 2020
For more information on the Early Years SEN Funding Panel please see the following page on the Islington Directory:
Saving your application
If you are not able to complete your application, you are able to click 'save' at the bottom of any page to return later. Follow the same survey link and, provided you are using the same machine, you will return to the last page completed in full. You will not be able to start a new application until the saved application is completed. If you have any problems, please contact IslingtonCS using the email address at the bottom of this page.
Assessing your application
Once we receive your application it will be assessed by the panel. All panel decisions are mutually agreed by all panel members via the use of a new matrix tool linked to descriptor of need which sits within a funding formula.There are no guarantees that you will receive the level of funding requested. Please note funded support will be allocated in relation to the needs of the child.
All supporting evidence MUST be saved and uploaded as a PDF document. If you are unable to upload supporting evidence at the time of making/submitting an application please email Islington CS suport.
Appealing your application
If you are not happy with the outcome settings will have the opportunity to respond to the panel's decision by submitting an appeal within the specified timeframe. Any appeals received after the deadline date will not be considered. The appeal deadline date will be detailed in your notification email, which you will recieve 48 hours after the panel has convened.
If you have any queries about the SEND funding application process, please contact SEND Funding.
For technical support please contact IslingtonCS support: