All Maintained, Private, Voluntary and Independent Early Years settings can apply for funding to support work with children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) who meet the criteria of severe and complex needs. From September 2019, funding will be awarded annually.
The Summer 2019 Term Panel is now closed
To be eligible for funding, the child must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Known to Social Communication Team (SCT)
- Known to the Early Years Development Team (EYDT)
- Known to the Richard Cloudsely Outreach Service
- Known to the SEN Team (assessment for an Education Health and Care Needs Assessment (EHCP) has been agreed or is already underway)
- Known to the Priority Early Learning Place Panel (formerly EYPRT), i.e. an assessment for an Early Help Plan (EHA) has been agreed or is already underway.
Rate of funding
- The SEND Funding panel allocates funding over 38 weeks across the year for 2019-20
- The panel funds a maximum of £14.95 per hour for all requests. This amount has been agreed by the Early Years’ service for 2019-20 and will be reviewed annually in line with inflation
- Providers are expected to top up the allocated funding if necessary
- Providers are expected to access additional sources of funding available that can be used to support individual children and raise the quality of provision. If you provide places for any 3- or 4-year-olds who receive disability living allowance (DLA), your setting is eligible to receive disability access fund (DAF), which is £615 per child per year
- Funding is paid for term time only at the agreed number of weeks per term
- Funding can only be paid for children under age 5 up to Nursery class only
- When children are transitioning to reception, five-hours of funding at the current hourly rate will be granted to support transition
Monitoring of funding
- A periodic monitoring process will be triggered for all children and settings accessing three terms worth of funding in order to evaluate the impact of funding received
- To assess the effectiveness of the funding recieved the Area SENCO team will make contact with settings and liaise with health professionals involved with the child
- The online system will not allow you to submit your application after the deadline date
- Two days after the panel, a secure email will be sent via Egress to the referrer outlining the decision
- Two weeks after the panel you will receive your detailed outcome letter, also sent as a secure email via Egress
- Please share the outcome letter with the finance officer in the setting in order to provide clarity on the allocated funding
- Payments are authorised and released in line with Islington's finance payment schedule
The SEND panel dates have been set in line with the headcount date as follows:
How to Apply
- Before starting your application, please ensure you have all the information you need about the child, including the number of days the child attends and the supporting documents that you will be required to upload.
- The decision-making process is heavily weighted on the evidence provided as part of the application. Do not forget to include evidence in your application.
- Please ensure that all the information inserted in the form is accurate as any mistakes will cause a delay to your application.
Accessing the online form
Follow the links below to access the appropriate form(s).
New Funding Request
If applying for funding for the first time please complete Form 1
Evidence required: Multi-disciplinary report which clearly outlines the child's level of need, 2YO progress check, medical reports, Islington's Additional Needs Referral Form.
Repeat Funding Request
If applying for repeat funding, please complete Form 2 which also includes the mandatory monitoring form. When making a change to your repeat request the supporting documentation provided must clearly evidence the reason why the level of support or hours has changed for the child.
Evidence required: Short Terms Plans and/or post-diagnostic evidence, Islington Additional Needs Referral Form.
If applying for specialist disability equipment please complete Form 3.
Equipment requests will only be approved once the following steps have been taken:
- Obtain a recommendation from a health professional
- Source the supplier
- Order the equipment to secure the invoice
- Complete Form 3 and upload the invoice
Evidence required: The written recommendation from a health professional and the invoice.
For more information on the Early Years SEN Funding Panel please see the following page:
Saving your application
If you are not able to complete your application, you are able to click 'save' at the bottom of any page to return later. Follow the same survey link and, provided you are using the same machine, you will return to the last page completed in full. You will not be able to start a new application until the saved application is completed. If you have any problems, please contact IslingtonCS using the email address at the bottom of this page.
Assessing your application
Once we receive your application it will be assessed by the panel. All panel decisions are mutually agreed by all members and there are no guarantees that you will receive the level of funding requested. Please note funded support will be allocated in relation to the needs of the child.
If you are unable to upload supporting evidence at the time of making/submitting an application for funding you have the option to do so at a later date. This must be done no later than a week (7 working days) prior to the panel meeting. All supporting evidence must be sent to EYAdmin@islington.gov.uk
Appealing your application
If you are not happy with the outcome settings will have the opportunity to respond to the panel's decision by submitting an appeal within the specified timeframe. Any appeals received after the deadline date will not be considered.
If you have any queries about the SEND funding application process, please contact Early Years Admin
For technical support please contact IslingtonCS support: