Music Education Islington is a partnership between Islington Council, Guildhall School of Music and Drama, leading music organisations and the Islington Community of Schools to provide support and opportunities for all children and young people in Islington to engage in high quality music education.
Music Education Islington supports all state-maintained schools and Early Years settings in their aim to embed music in their curriculum in accordance with the National Plan for Music Education by offering a broad programme of activities, consultations, and services throughout the academic year. It will also help support schools to deliver a broad and varied curriculum to enrich the cultural capital of their students, aligning with the Ofsted Framework.
What services are available?
- Primary and SEND schools: access to online music school “Charanga”, including yustudio
- Secondary schools: access to MusicFirst provision, e.g. unlimited seats to Focus on Sound Pro
- Subsidised access to Charanga VIP studio, including yustudio sessions
- Termly continuing professional development for all school phases, specific to music teachers, teachers with music leadership responsibilities, as well as class teachers
- Access to highly trained peripatetic teachers for whole class, group and individual instrumental lessons, ensemble and choir at discounted hourly rates
- Performance opportunities locally within schools and in large borough-wide events
- Subsided rates to progression opportunities for students with an enjoyment and/or aptitude for music (e.g. MEI Music Centres)
- Access to instrumental hire schemes
- Access to qualified music therapists* to discounted daily rates
- Mentoring scheme for EYFS, KS1 & KS2 class teachers, using “Jolly music” to teach music through singing
- Annual Instrumental assembly at your school
- Regular network opportunities including annual conference and network events
- Access to opportunities and activities to encourage deeper engagement with and in music offered by our partners (e.g. Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment – OAE, London Symphony Orchestra – LSO, City University)
In addition to the Standard Service:
- Targeted advice and support for a specific area identified by the school.
in addition to the Standard Services:
- Bespoke advice and support for schools on music curriculum development (including EYFS, singing, first access to musical instruments and progression routes for children and young people in music) and whole school improvement using music.
Music in Secondary School Trust (MiSST) Partnership
- MiSST partner schools sign a Memorandum of Understanding each academic year. This sets out the expectations and responsibilities of each partner with regard to the MiSST provision of services.
- MiSST partner schools can also sign up to the Music Education Islington SLA, which enables them to access the additional services listed above.
Music Therapy is a psychological therapy using established musical interventions to support people of all ages with their psychological, emotional, cognitive, physical, communicative and social needs.
How will this service be delivered?
We tailor our delivery according to the needs of each individual school. Where possible, instrumental provision and workshops are face-to-face, online alternatives will be arranged in exceptional circumstances. Training, network meetings and consultation can be arranged online and in person.
What added value does this service offer?
- Access to an extensive variety of support offered directly by us and a network of partners.
- Access to leading online resources such as Charanga and Focus on Sound.
- Regular updates and briefings of changes and developments in music education.
- Access to trained and DBS checked peripatetic teachers.
- Access to music therapy.
- Mentoring scheme to develop school teaching staff in Jolly Music.
- Access to curricular, extra-curricular and cross-curricular activities supporting the current Ofsted framework.
- Support in seeking funding for music equipment and music activities.
Purchase this service
Islington settings can view and download a detailed pricing and order form for 2023-24 or by contacting the service provider directly: Rosie Carter
All other settings
All other settings, including schools from other boroughs can make an enquiry about any service by contacting our School Contracts team: Email School Contracts or by contacting the service provider directly: Rosie Carter